This is a model DA 4856 (Development Counseling Form) for a soldier transferring to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) with at least three years of active duty, or at least two years of active duty + three years of Troop Program Unit (TPU) time. These soldiers are transferred to the TIR control group for reinforcement.

Soldiers in this control group are not required to undergo annual training. As policies change, some of the items listed below may change as this article ages.

Note: If you do not have the minimum of three years of active service, or two years of active service +3 years of TPU, you would be requesting the transfer to the IRR, Control Group-Training. You would have an AT requirement each year in the IRR.

The Soldier in this scenario has completed his six-year contractual obligation at the TPU. He or she wishes to complete the balance of his initial eight-year military obligation in the TIR.

Applicable sections of the army development advice form for a soldier transferring to the IRR, reinforcement of the control group:

DA 4856: Purpose of Counseling:

Event Oriented Advice – You are advised on your decision to submit an Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) transfer request.

You declared your intention to complete the remainder of your contractual obligation in the IRR.

Your contractual obligation ends [DFAS date format]. Your legal obligation ends [Actual ETS date, DFAS date format]. Despite your transfer from TPU to IRR, you will remain a member of Ready Reserve. He is not “out” or “discharged” from the military. Although your transfer to the TIR will allow you to keep many reserve benefits ready, some of the key benefits of being in the TPU will end. As the [title of counselor], it is my responsibility to make sure you understand the options that are available to you.

DA 4856: Key Discussion Points:

– As a TPU member, you are eligible for the following benefits: Common Access Card (CAC), military pay for IDT and AT / ADT; SGLI; Tuition assistance; TSP; Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606); appropriate TRICARE coverage, reserve military pension if you complete 20 qualifying years, etc. If you choose to continue in the IRR, some of these benefits will be suspended. Nevertheless; you will be eligible for the rest of your military benefits while on TIR. You still need to earn 50 retirement points each year in that year’s IRR to qualify for retirement eligibility. You must also submit your CAC at the time of the IRR transfer.

– As a member of the IRR, you are eligible for the following benefits: DD Form 2, Reserve Identification Card (green). Military payment for AT / ADT / mobilization; reserve the military pension if you reach 20 years of qualification; PX / Commissary Privileges; appropriate TRICARE dental coverage, a green military identification card (IRR), and other benefits. Nevertheless; To maintain these benefits, you must continue to successfully participate in TIR by responding to HRC correspondence, attending annual (paid) meetings, and performing any other point-earning activities for which you are authorized.

– HRC will send you mail orders every year. Their annual meetings will take place 1 day a year and will last from 2 to 8 hours. If you receive disability compensation from VA, you will receive both the disability payment and the disability payment. Make sure HRC has your most recent / accurate contact information. Since you have at least [3 years active duty ___ (or) 2 years active duty +3 years TPU__], will be transferred to the TIR control group, Reinforcement. You will not have an AT requirement during the IRR; however, you can request such training.

– You can earn your points from days in mobilization / active duty, AT / ADT, funeral service, IDT / Drill (points only) and participation points (PP). The maximum inactive points (IDT + PP) that you could earn in a retirement year is 130 points. You earn one active point for each day on active duty. The maximum number of active points you could earn in the year is the number of days you have that year. You can also drill just to get points, not pay, while on the IRR.

– As a member of the IRR, you will be entitled to a military identification card (IRR / green). You will still have access to DEFAC, PX, Commissary, MWR facilities, fitness facilities, etc. of a military installation. Your SGLI will expire per your TIR order instructions. If you are a veteran (previous active duty / deployment), you may be eligible for VGLI. If TRICARE was your only health insurance, you may need to make arrangements with a commercial health insurance provider.

– HRC will keep your records. They will work with you to schedule your AT or to put you on mobilization orders. Here is the Army website, MOBCOP, that you can use as a mobilization volunteer while in TIR: [Volunteer for mobilization website address.]

– If you do not reach 50 points in a retirement year, those years will not count toward the 20-year minimum to be eligible to retire with pay. Within 3 months of your ETS, or sooner, notify HRC of your ETS intent to receive ETS orders.

– The unit cannot offer any guarantee of approval or disapproval of your IRR request.

– Feel that you cannot continue with the TPU due to [Reason explained below].

DA 4856: Action Plan:

– Consider the above benefits of staying at the TPU and consider signing up for a new TPU contract.

– The unit will initiate and process a TIR transfer request. Maintain communication with the unit and assist with IRR packet processing. Provide additional documentation if requested. Be available to sign revised documents.

– Until you receive your TIR orders, keep the unit updated if you experience a change in address, phone number, email, etc.

– You are responsible for drilling with the unit up to the transfer date on your TIR orders.

– If you owe RST before the transfer date, please submit an RST request form and supporting documentation through your chain of command.

– Process with Supply SGT, Engine SGT, NCO Operations, UA, UAT, 1SG, CDR, DARN and other applicable unit sections.

– Download a copy of the IRR manual from the Internet or obtain it from a soldier who has already downloaded it.

– Familiarize yourself with the past mobilization opportunity websites.

– When transferring to the IRR, hand over your CAC card to the nearest military identification card office and obtain your DD Form 2, reserve identification card (green).

– Understand that while you are in the IRR, you are not “out” of the military. It is still in the prepared reserve, subject to an annual meeting and subject to mobilization.

– Continue to participate in physical fitness to help maintain your deployment status.

– Strive for a minimum of 50 retirement points for each retirement year in the IRR.

– Answer the HRC mappings that ask for a response. Please save the HRC information mappings in a specific folder for future reference.

– Read and fully understand your HRC Recruitment Orders and introduce yourself as directed in these orders. Bring the requested documentation.

– Hand over your reservation ID card in case you re-enlist in the TPU or active duty; receive a CAC instead.

– You can drill with this or another unit if you need points, but not to pay, while in the TIR state. The career advisor has details on how you can do this.

– At the end of your MSO, without re-enlisting, turn in your DD Form 2, Reserve Identification Card (green).

– Please understand that the day after your MSO ends, you may automatically end up in the United States Military and the state / territory in which you reside. Federal law identifies healthy men ages 17-45, state law identifies similar or different age ranges. Some states include women in that category. This means that after your MSO ETS, if you are in this group, you are subject to the militia rally on the orders of the president or your governor.

– Effective your transfer to the IRR, the IRR unit patch becomes your unit patch. He will also use the TIR regimental insignia instead of [current unit badge] in their ASUs.

– While at the IRR, keep in touch with HRC and update them with your latest address changes, phone, email, work, medical status, etc.

DA 4856: Logout:

– I understand the current SRIP options and incentives available to me to continue with the TPU. I will lose the TPU specific benefits while maintaining the IRR specific benefits once I am officially in the IRR. As long as I am in the IRR, I am eligible to earn at least 50 retirement points during that year to count toward retirement. I can get those points through mobilization, AT orders issued by HRC, etc. I may be subject to an APFT at the beginning of an AT order issued by HRC. I will keep the HRC informed of address, phone number and email changes while at the TIR. I will surrender my CAC and get a green DD Form 2 (Reserve) ID card upon transfer to the IRR. At the end of my MSO, I will deliver this green ID card to the closest ID card office. I will continue to drill and maintain communication with the unit up to the date of my IRR transfer orders. After my transfer to the IRR, I will maintain communication with HRC. I will familiarize myself with the key points of discussion and carry out the courses of action.

– Despite what has been said above, I wish to request the transfer to the TIR. I understand that there is no guarantee regarding approval or disapproval of this package.


AR 140-10 Army Reserve Assignments, Annexes, Details, and Transfers

AR 140-185 Training and Retirement Point Credits and Unit Level Strength Accounting Records